August 14, 2013
SPRINGFIELD, Mo., August 14, 2013 — Moving into dormitories, saying goodbye to parents and the Service Plunge, they are all Drury orientation traditions and faculty, staff and upperclassmen will welcome the newest students to campus this weekend.
New student orientation begins when residence halls open for move-in at 8 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 16. New Drury President David Manuel along with faculty, staff and students will help new students carry their belongings into their rooms. Orientation concludes with a party on Monday evening, August 19.
Orientation highlights include:
Friday, Aug. 16
▪ 8 a.m.-noon. New students move in to residence halls.
▪ 3:15-3:40 p.m. Parent and student goodbyes. On the Kellogg Green. This is the time for the last minute hugs before parents attend a parent orientation and students get to know their CORE 101 class.
▪ 5:15-6 p.m. Parent reception and farewell. Findlay Student Center ballroom.
▪ 7 p.m. Hard CORE challenge. Sunderland Field. Each CORE class (CORE is Drury’s first-year general education course) will compete in fun activities, such as, placing 10 clothespins on your face or drinking a 12 ounce bottle of water quickly. The winning team earns gift cards.
Saturday, Aug. 17
▪ Students will explore Springfield at the following venues:
▪ 4-6 p.m. Ice Skating. Mediacom Ice Park
▪ 9-11 p.m. Enterprise Lanes. Bowling and pizza.
Sunday, Aug. 18
▪ 11 a.m. Kickoff to the 2012-2013 Theme Year. Amy Blansit presents, “The Morality of Wellness.” Clara Thompson Hall
▪ 1-2 p.m. Student activities fair. O’Reilly Family Event Center.
▪ 2-4 p.m. Nature walk. Springfield Nature Center.
▪ 5-7 p.m. Dinner and dessert in faculty homes.
Monday, Aug. 19
▪ Off-Campus Community Service Plunge. 10 a.m.-noon. There are 20 projects, including:
▪ Fall cleaning on C-Street.
▪ Packing and sorting at Convoy of Hope.
▪ Fall cleaning at the Discovery Center.
▪ Maintenance at the Lincoln Memorial Cemetery
Classes begin on Monday, Aug. 19 at 5 p.m. for evening and graduate classes. Students in the traditional Day School start classes on Tuesday, Aug. 20.